|With The Dead|
With The Dead circa 2017.
|Years active||2014 - Present|
|Labels||Rise Above Records|
|Associated acts||Electric Wizard, Ramesses, Cathedral, Serpentine Path, Bolt Thrower, Dead Witches|
|Current members|| Lee Dorrian|
|Past members||Mark Greening|
With The Dead are a four piece doom band from England formed on 31st October 2014. The band started out as a collaboration between well known doom musicians Mark Greening and Tim Bagshaw (both ex-Electric Wizard and Ramesses) as well as Lee Dorrian (Cathedral). In January 2016, the lineup changed, with Greening replaced on drums by Alex Thomas (ex-Bolt Thrower) and Leo Smee (ex-Cathedral) being added on bass.
With the Dead began sometime after Mark Greening had been fired from Electric Wizard in 2014. Mark Greening presented to Lee Dorrian recordings with interest in forming a new band and releasing it on Rise Above Records, at one point Greening himself even intended to be the vocalist for this project. Initially the intent was to make an EP but Dorrian declined in favor of it being an album. At some point during the sessions Tim Bagshaw had visited the United Kingdom to help with the recordings and Lee Dorrian was approached to join as vocalist to which he accepted. The recording sessions for the album would follow in March of 2015.
Tim Bagshaw stated in an interview that the project was formed from "knowing each other for many years" and describing the initial forming with the following:
|“||“It was actually just by chance. I’ve been really busy over the last few years with Serpentine Path, releasing 2 albums and working on the new material.”||”|
— Tim Bagshaw, Echoes and Dust 
Lee Dorrian has expressed interest in doing a follow-up record and some live shows in the future along with some personal satisfaction with the band. In an interview with The Sludgelord he went on to state the following:
|“|| “This was the easiest record I’ve ever done to be honest. I did all the vocals in about two hours; we just kept the first takes. In Cathedral I’d spend weeks and weeks and weeks on just one line so that it just looked right on paper. I had no social life, I’d torture myself. It was so liberating to get away from that and sort of do something off the wall.”
“There’s no big masterplan for this band. It’s a major relief to have the music finished and out there but with everything else we’re just taking things as they come. Hopefully we’ll do some shows next year and another record. I don’t want this to be another studio project that doesn’t do anything. Personally I think this record is too good to just leave it and there’s more stuff that we can do. I’d like to think that this isn’t a one off.
Obviously in a live scenario Tim’s gonna be playing guitar so we’ll have to find a bassist, maybe a second guitarist. So there’s a lot to think about but we’re not ruling anything out.”
— Lee Dorrian, The Sludgelord 
On January 23, 2016, Mark Greening announced via Facebook that he was no longer in "With The Dead", with the following statement:
I am writing this to inform you that unfortunately I will not be performing in With The Dead with Lee and Tim at the upcoming shows that have been booked, including Roadburn 2016. I should explain that the above isn't news to me. I have been excluded from dealings with the band and its label, Rise Above Records , since October 2015 and despite several letters and attempts to address the issues as well as a personal apology on my part over the previous months, I did not receive any response until late last week. It is massively disappointing as I want to be there to perform the tracks that we have written and recorded together as With The Dead, and whilst I have not left the band, it is clear that I am to be excluded from its activities for the foreseeable future. With regards to the dispute, I'll start by saying 'shit happens', it has been an extremely stressful couple of years; ending Ramesses, rejoining one of my earliest bands Electric Wizard, giving up my role in the then newly formed 11 Paranoias and starting work on With The Dead. It may or may not have been my fault for blowing my lid or just being difficult to work with, who knows, hell I am a 38 year old musician with an expertise in doom and extreme music, I have been making music for longer than I care to recall and what you see is what you get. Unfortunately, last week I received a letter from the corporate law firm instructed to represent Lee, Tim and Rise Above Records and whilst I have been expressly informed that I cannot share the correspondence, it has been made abundantly clear that my exclusion is to continue. It is disappointing as those involved are adults and professional musicians but most importantly, they were my friends, so I thought that we would reach a resolution and that it would blow over. Whilst I had held out hope, I don't have the funds or patience to argue with an ensemble of lawyers about playing drums. Ultimately, I am there to bash the kit and make the music that I also grew up listening to, it doesn't ever seem to pay too well, despite having contributed to some records that I am extremely proud of, but you know what, I will not let this get me down and I will continue making music that I hope to share with you. Apologies to anyone who has quizzed me about With The Dead in recent months. On a more positive note, I hope to see you soon.”
— Mark Greening, Personal Facebook post 
On January 25, 2016, the official With The Dead Facebook page made the following statement in response:
|“|| “UPDATE FROM THE CRYPT: Just to confirm - due to personal and political reasons, With The Dead will no longer be working with Mark Greening.
As far as we’re concerned, it is not worth wasting any more time on the matter. The band will continue, with UK dates and a new line-up to be announced very shortly.”
— With The Dead Official Statement, Facebook 
On 28th January, the band uploaded changed the information and cover photo displayed on their Facebook account, confirming that Alex Thomas (ex-Bolt Thrower) would replace Greening on drums, with Leo Smee (ex-Cathedral) also joining the band on bass.
In November of 2016, the band announced a second album was in the works, set for release in 2017. On 30 March 2017 the band released a new track entitled Vessel of Solitude for the 2017 May issue of the Decibel Magazine's Flexi Series though the song will not be on the forthcoming album. On 13 July 2017 the band would announce a tracklist and album cover for their second studio album: Love from With The Dead. The album is set to be released on 22 September 2017.
On February 1, 2016, With The Dead announced two shows in the UK. On 10th April they performed at The Deaf Institute in Manchester in what was first public performance (With the lineup of Dorrian, Bagshaw, Smee and Thomas). On 11th April the band will also performed at O2 Institute in Birmingham.
Another performance was announced at Hellfest in Clisson, France on Sunday, June 19, 2016.
On March 2, 2016, With The Dead announced an appearance at Tuska Open Air.
List of Live PerformancesEdit
- 10 April 2016 - The Deaf Institute, Manchester, England
- 11 April 2016 - O2 Academy, Birmingham, England
- 15 April 2016 - 013, Tilburg, Netherlands (Roadburn Festival)
- 18 June 2016 - Val De Moine, Clisson, France (Hellfest)
- 23 June 2016 - Refshaleøen, Copenhagen, Denmark (Copenhell)
- 2 July 2016 - Suvilahti, Helsinki, Finland (Tuska Open Air)
- 10 September 2016 - Parque de Merendas de Valada, Cartaxo, Portugal (Reverence Festival Valada)
- 9 October 2016 - Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan (Loud Park)
- Vessel of Solitude (2017, Decibel Magazine)
- Lee Dorrian Vocals (2014 - Present)
- Tim Bagshaw Guitar, Bass (2014 - Present)
- Leo Smee Bass (2016 - Present)
- Alex Thomas Drums (2016 - Present)
- Mark Greening Drums & Concussion (2014 - 2016)
- Online interview with Lee Dorrian.
- Invisible Oranges interview with Lee Dorrian
- Music and Riots interview with Lee Dorrian.
- ↑ With The Dead Facebook Info, first accessed 3rd August 2015
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 With The Dead Facebook Cover photo - updated 28th January 2016, accessed 29th January 2016
- ↑ Outlaws of the SunRisen From The Dead - An Interview with Mark Greening, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ The Quietus "Direct And From The Gut": With The Dead's Lee Dorrian Interviewed, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ Echoes and Dust Interview: Tim Bagshaw from With The Dead, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ The Sludgelord 'Conversing With The Dead': An Interview with Lee Dorrian, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ Shoot Me Again Mark Greening quits With the Dead , accessed 25th January 2016
- ↑ With The Dead Facebook Page With The Dead Facebook post circa January 25, accessed 25th January 2016
- ↑ With The Dead FacebookAccessed 30 March 2017
- ↑ The ObeliskAccesse 13 July 2017
- ↑ FacebookFacebook Announcement, Accessed Febuary 1, 2016
- ↑ Roadburn With The Dead brought to life at Lee Dorrian's 2016 curated Roadburn event, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ Hellfest Website Artistes, accessed 12th January 2016
- ↑ FacebookFacebook Announcement, accessed March 2, 2016
|V·T·E With The Dead|
|Current Members||Lee Dorrian • Tim Bagshaw • Leo Smee • Alex Thomas|
|Past Members||Mark Greening|
|Studio Albums||With The Dead • Love from With The Dead|
|Associated Bands and Artists||Cathedral • Electric Wizard • Ramesses • 11Paranoias • Serpentine Path • Dead Witches • Bolt Thrower|