|Genres||Black Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal|
|Years active||1987 - Present|
|Associated acts||Darkthrone, Neptune Towers, Fenriz' Red Planet, Fuck You All, Isengard, Storm, Regress FF, Dødheimsgard, Eibon, Khold, Sarke, Tulus, Old Man's Child, Blackened, Forgery, Paradigma, Sensa Anima, Code, Ulver, Nattefrost, Obliteration, Spectral Haze, Aura Noir, Black Magic, Furze, Deject|
Valhall is a doom metal band residing from Oslo, Norway. Initially active from 1987 - 1993 as a black/thrash metal band they evolved into a stoner/doom metal band inspired by music from the late sixties and early seventies from 1994 to the present. Notably the band features Gylve Nagell of Darkthrone fame though he currently only contributes to the band as a studio drummer due to his refusal to perform live (Though it's known he did perform with the band on drums in 1994 at a release party).
Valhall initially began in 1987 when the Sorkness brothers Kenny and Ronny met Gylve Fenriz Nagell. Beginning as a blackened thrash band similar to other bands the members were involved with at the time. From this initial tenure the band composed four demos between 1988 and 1991.
Around 1993 Nagell rejoined amidst a multitude of changing members and the band's sound drastically changed into something closer to stoner metal and doom metal. In November 1993 Valhall went into studio for the first time, to contribute on a sampler called "The Reincarnation of the Sun". Working with Metalion's label Head Not Found the band would release their first album Moonstoned in February 1995. The band would soon follow up with a second album in Heading For Mars two years later with sporadic live performances throughout.
The band would start work on a third record between 1999 and 2003 but ultimately it would not see the light of day until 2009 when Housecore Records expressed an interest in releasing it. Red Planet would be released on that label on 9 June 2009 on CD and Red Vinyl. The band is still active though only playing live on occasion.
- Castle of Death (1988)
- Amalgamation (1989)
- Trauma (1990)
- Pagan Token (1991)
- Moonstoned (1995, Head Not Found)
- Heading For Mars (1997, Head Not Found)
- Red Planet (2009, Housecore)
- Kenneth Sorkness - Bass (1987 - Present)
- Gylve Nagell aka Fenriz - Drums (Studio) (1987 - 1989, 1993 - Present)
- Robin Olsen - Guitar (1987 - 1992, 1995 - Present)
- Ronny Sorkness - Vocals (1987 - Present)
- Frank Wanberg - Lead Guitar, Keyboards (1997 - Present)
- Kristian Valbo - Live Drums
- Frode Malm - Guitars
- Brede Jensen - Guitars (1988 - 1992)
- Thomas Berglie - Drums (1989 - 1992)
- K. J. Lervåg - Drums (1992 - 1993)
- Erik Lancelot - Drums (1992)
- Geir Kolden - Guitars (1993 - 1997)